Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment

Go down 
+3
Wallace
halo0
xcoldricex
7 posters
AuthorMessage
xcoldricex

xcoldricex

Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment Empty
PostSubject: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 am

I got my car aligned yesterday - night and day difference! I went to Ryan's Auto Repair on Joy Rd. in Plymouth because one of the people from Mazda started working there, Kyle. He co-drives Saitech's autox-prepped Mazdaspeed3, so he's very familiar with the platform and most importantly, he's also a fellow car enthusiast/racer. He previously worked with the alignment guy at Thayer Auto so he's got many years under his belt doing alignments on an older rack - this place has a brand new Hunter rack - clearance is not all that great though, so you may have to bring wood blocks or remove your bumper. I did the latter.

He's the service manager there so he's usually busy with customers during the day. Since he wanted to do the alignment himself, I scheduled a time with him after hours to have his undivided attention. He wanted to align the car with me in it to account for driver's weight, so I sat in the car and held the steering wheel straight while he made adjustments. Ended up with -2.3, -2.4 camber (limits of these KMAC camber plates)... 3.9 caster, toe was around 0.09, 0.1 if I recall correctly. He also designed camber plate for mazdaspeed3's, already drawn up in CAD... hopefully they'll produce them soon and I'll be able to get my hands on a set. I think he and azmath were the ones that designed my new top hats too.

We got to talking and he had a '85 Capri back in the day! (As well as several other fox bodies) So, I'll probably have him do my Capri alignment too whenever that needs to happen... also there's some tuner shops in the same strip mall.. saw a 6-700whp evo owned by one of the store owners... there's a flow/porting place in the strip, flow technologies, that does a bunch of race builds i believe.

The new alignment along with the new top hats that don't bind during steering makes the car feel absolutely amazing! I would highly recommend going here if you want a proper alignment... or any other work done on the car. If I ever upgrade my LSD to a quaife, I wouldn't hesitate to bring it here to do it. If I have any problems with the Mazda this year and can't fix it myself (due to time or out of my capabilities) I would bring it here.

Another thing, he mentioned that he can blueprint engines and stuff if anyone on here goes crazy with a build...

Here's the info:

Ryan's Auto Repair
41990 Joy Rd, Plymouth, MI 48170
(734) 454-0979
ask for kyle tell derrick w/ the ms3 told you about them.

Back to top Go down
halo0

halo0

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:53 am

What did the alignment cost?

I was wondering if anyone would do an alignment with you in the car. Seems to make sense as the car doesn't go down the road empty. Laughing

If you read my thread about my tire problem, from what Chris was showing me yesterday I have extreme wear on the inner edges of my tires which is usually caused by incorrect toe. The toe was off before the alignment, but not egregiously so. I want to know if the wear I am seeing would be caused by that amount of difference from what it was to mazda spec.

Here is my alignment sheet from a couple months ago. I find it somewhat odd that Mazda's toe range spans from negative to positive. So you can basically choose which you want to run?

Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment 2011-06-29185846
Back to top Go down
Wallace
Admin
Wallace

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:01 am

Great info Derrick!! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
https://obdoneclub.forummotion.com
xcoldricex

xcoldricex

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:18 am

he charged me $89.99, amazing price for what he did and the time spent - especially since a std alignment special is $60. I paid ~$100 at thayer last time, had to deal with the stupid service guy and i wasn't in the car. (they also didn't put antiseize on my tie rods last time which made this one take a bit longer)

yeah - i'm not sure how much toe neg or pos we can run on these... but running toe on a street car isn't really recommended, just will eat through tires faster for no real benefit. so he tried to zero it as close as possible.
Back to top Go down
dogbreath

dogbreath

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 4:39 pm

halo0 wrote:

Here is my alignment sheet from a couple months ago. I find it somewhat odd that Mazda's toe range spans from negative to positive. So you can basically choose which you want to run?

That means they intend for it to be zero.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/daugbret
halo0

halo0

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Wait, did this Kyle used to be parts manager at Thayer? If so I know that guy!

edit: duh, of course it's him. Just talked to him. Smile
Back to top Go down
halo0

halo0

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 12:38 am

So I had an appointment with Kyle this evening. Went in there and of course my car wouldn't go on the rack. Worse yet, they didn't have a jack that would go under my car to lift it so we could remove the bumper. Fail. But then when I was talking to him I mentioned I was supposed to be getting my new tires on tomorrow, and he mentioned that he wanted the new tires on before he did the alignment anyway. So now I am going back next week. They have a guy who is fabricating up some ramps so lowered cars can get on the rack without removing the bumper. Hopefully it will be operational by the time I go back. I'll be bringing my racing jack just in case. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Undertaker4

Undertaker4

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 12:43 am

what size DWS did you get?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Undertaker4
halo0

halo0

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 12:45 am

225/35-19
Back to top Go down
Undertaker4

Undertaker4

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 12:47 am

i hope these provide positive feedback for you
Back to top Go down
CreepinE30

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 1:40 am

For what Phil plans to do with them they will work fine. They are by no means a "summer performance" tire.
Back to top Go down
halo0

halo0

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 am

Yeah and I'm going to have to be sure not to forget that. Laughing I've become pretty used to the stickiness of these Falkens. Taking a corner at the same speed on the DWS could prove to be an expensive error.
Back to top Go down
CreepinE30

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 10:53 am

The tread is kinda hard I've found. They maybe alittle more noisy than your falkens.
Back to top Go down
halo0

halo0

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 11:05 am

You haven't heard my Falkens. Laughing Seriously, that is not possible.

If you look at the reviews on DT's site you will find many mentions on just the first page about how quiet these are...
Back to top Go down
CreepinE30

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 11:09 am

I was just sharing my experiences with the tire. I never did hear your falkens, so you would be a better judge of that. I guess when you get them right a review in the tire section.
Back to top Go down
halo0

halo0

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 11:11 am

I can't wait to find out. I am quite disappointed that I have to drive on these stupid things for 4 more days. If we are both at the meet this weekend you should come for a ride so you can hear them yourself!
Back to top Go down
CreepinE30

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 11:41 am

I wasn't planing on going to the meet but I might have to swing out. My experiences with the DWS's is mostly with normal tire sizes and not plus size applications. So it is hit or miss. I'm really not pleased at all with chris's "professional" opinions on tires.
Back to top Go down
halo0

halo0

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Josh I'm going to put my response over in my personal thread since we have run this thread way off topic. Laughing

Maybe if someone who has admin powers wants they can move this last string of off-topic posts over into my thread as well.

https://obdoneclub.forummotion.com/t20p45-phil-ann-arbor-mazda3-hatch

Back to top Go down
Undertaker4

Undertaker4

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 4:15 pm

the only people that have that power is Nick and Alden, sorry Phil im not mod for every section
Back to top Go down
xcoldricex

xcoldricex

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:15 pm

halo0 wrote:
They have a guy who is fabricating up some ramps so lowered cars can get on the rack without removing the bumper.

haha this is awesome
Back to top Go down
halo0

halo0

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Crap I forgot to ask Kyle if they were done yet. Tentatively going up there tomorrow night.
Back to top Go down
henrylouis57

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 4:34 am

thanks for the information. I will get back for more updates/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment   Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment Empty

Back to top Go down

Ryan's Auto Repair, Plymouth - Alignment
Page 1 of 1